Orchestral conducting masterclass with Maestro Tomáš Netopil and the Moravian Philharmonic Orchestra (full-size professional symphony orchestra)
The 6-day intensive course for conductors offers participants lessons accompanied by two experienced pianists, gives students the opportunity to work with a professional symphony orchestra as well as receiving analysing feedback from the tutor about recorded video. The culmination of the master class is the public final concert which is professionally video/audio recorded.
The masterclass is suitable for advanced conducting students and professional conductors.
Less experienced conductors can take part in the masterclass as Semi-active participants. The Certificate of participation will be provided for all Participants who have completed the masterclass for conductors. There is no age limit for participation.
L. Beethoven - "Egmont", Overture, C. Debussy - "La Mer", A. Dvořák - Symphony No. 8, P.I. Tchaikovsky - "Variations on a Rococo Theme" for cello and orchestra (soloist Nikita Ruzhavinskii).
Conductors are expected to purchase and study their scores before the start of this course. It is important that you listen to the pieces and prepare them as much as possible to gain the maximum benefits from the masterclass.
Each Active participant will be entitled to:
• minimum 90 minutes of podium time conducting the Moravian Philharmonic Orchestra
• minimum 60 minutes of podium time in four hand piano sessions
• each Active participant will conduct a Dress rehearsal and the Final public concert
• attending all meetings, classes and rehearsals Each Semi-active participant will be entitled to:
• minimum 90 minutes of podium time in four hand piano sessions
• attending all meetings, classes, rehearsals and the final concert, without an opportunity to conduct the orchestra Photos from masterclasses
Tomáš Netopil began his conducting career in 2002 by winning the First Prize of 1st Sir Georg Solti International Conductors’ Competition at the Alte Opra Frankfurt, Germany.
During almost 20 years he conducted the best European orchestras and appeared in some of the most prestigious international theatres: Berliner Philharmoniker, Gewandhaus Orchester Leipzig, Dresdner Staatskapelle, Sinfonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks, RSB Berlin, Konzerthausorchester Berlin, London Philharmonic, Philharmonia Orchestra London, BBC Philharmonic Orchestra, Tonhalle Orchester Zürich, Rotterdams Philharmonisch Orkest, Orchestra Filarmonica della Scala, Orchestra Nazionale della RAI Torino, Royal Stockholm Philharmonic, Oslo Philharmonic, Israel Philharmonic Orchestra, NHK Symphony Orchestra (Tokyo), Dallas Symphony Orchestra, Deutsche Oper Berlin, Bayerische Staatsoper München, Operá National de Paris, De Nederlandse Opera, Teatro La Fenice Venezia, Teatro Regio Torino, Salzburger Festspiele, Zurich Opera.
He regularly performs at the Vienna State Opera and at the Vlaamse Opera, is a Guest Conductor with the Orchestre de Paris and the Orchestre Philharmonique de Monte Carlo.
From 2008 to 2012 Tomáš Netopil held a position of Music Director of the Prague National Theatre and Estates Theatre.
Since 2013 Maestro is serving as Music Director of the Aalto Theatre and Philharmonie Essen (Germany), recording for Supraphon and appearing in international music festivals.
He is Principal Guest Conductor of the Czech Philharmonic since 2018.
Tomáš Netopil greadly shares his experiences with young conductors, he generously agreed to lead our masterclass.
Nikita Ruzhavinskii (cello) - Assistant Concertmaster of Moravian Philharmonic Orchestra.
The concert program will be divided among participants. The Final concert will be held on 1 September 2023 the Reduta Hall, Olomouc
The masterclass/course will be taught in English and German.
All sessions with the orchestra will be video recorded and each conductor will receive his/her videos via Internet.
You can use also your own cameras for video recording.
Video recording of orchestra rehearsals and the concert is included in the price.
The course will take place in the concert hall Reduta. Venue address: Horní náměstí 23, Olomouc, Czech Republic. The town is located between Prague and Vienna.
Historical place: the famous composer and conductor Gustav Mahler worked at the German Public Theater (now the Moravian Theatre in Olomouc)
Active participant's fee is € 1900. (Please, write to the Masterclass manager for more options)
Each Active participant will be entitled to:
• 90 minutes of podium time conducting the Moravian Philharmonic Orchestra
• analysis of video recorded rehearsals;
• 60 minutes of podium time in four-hand piano sessions, as well as rehearsing with the soloist
• each Active participant will conduct a dress rehearsal and the final concert
• attending all meetings, classes and rehearsals
Semi-active participant's fee is € 600.
Each Semi-active participant will be entitled to:
• 90 minutes of podium time in four-hand piano sessions, as well as rehearsing with the soloist
• attending all meetings, classes, rehearsals and the final concert, without an opportunity to conduct the orchestra
Daily Visitors' (passive participation) fee is € 45
There is no registration/application fee.
- 25 % of the participant’s fee has to be paid as a deposit via bank transfer two weeks at the latest after the organizers` confirmation of your participation;
- the rest of the fee has to be paid via bank transfer 30 days before the masterclass starts at the latest.
The masterclass fee is 100 % refundable only in case of cancellation or postponing of the masterclass by the organizer.
In case of your cancellation, 25% of the masterclass fee will be charged.
For an individual payment plan please contact the Course Manager
Accommodation costs must be covered by each participant of the course.
We offer you an accommodation in the FLORA hotel ***.
The hotel has different categories of rooms: Economy, Standart, Comfort, Comfort Plus and Superior.
Nevertheless, you can stay in any other hotel. We can offer you an assistance with finding cheaper accommodation.
Please, contact course Manager to find accommodation.
Travel costs must be covered by each participant. Getting from Prague to Olomouc by Train
2½h, hourly IC/EC trains
Regular fare is € 14
Don’t hesitate to contact us, and we will help you to manage your trip.
There are two airports around Olomouc: Prague and Vienna
Masterclasses for conductors with a full-size orchestra.
Conducting Programs include Opera & Orchestral Conducting masterclasses and workshops, Masterclass venues & locations: Prague, Olomouc, Marienbad, Karlovy Vary, Ostrava